Friday, February 18, 2011

Running while pregnant forum

This week I have been following the forum at Runnersworld.com which is specific to women and even more specific towards pregnant women.  There are a couple different topics regarding running while pregnant and the one that caught my eye was on training for a half marathon.  There are several different opinions but the women all seem to be supportive towards each other.  They offer sound advice and give praise appropriately. 
When I found out I was pregnant I was already signed up for a half marathon, Surf City- Huntington Beach.  I have been training for it for some time now but I was not able to run in it because I caught the horrible flu, that has been going around my school, which was combined with all day morning sickness.  I read a post from a runner that was going through the same situation and other women responded with such support and enthusiasm, it was refreshing.  They offered advice such as: you did the right thing by listening to your body, you can pick up your running when you feel better, and you will be able to run in several events after the baby is born.
I have heard many different opinions about running while pregnant and even though my doctor has given me the green light on continuing with my running, it is so nice to read about women having a similar passion.

2 comments:

  1. That's nice that you were able to continue with your passion. And congratulations! I need to get myself motivated to exercise. Between teaching and having a 15 month old son I feel like I have not motivation or energy. But I know I need to do something soon. My health is in jeopardy. Well good luck with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this baby! I think it is great that you are so proactive in getting information on running while being pregnant. It's smart that you are asking questions and getting involved! Good luck as you continue to train for the marathon, as well as take care of you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete